Friday, June 15, 2012

The GRENADE CrossFit Socks and Explosive Training


An "Explosive" Performance Sock


Why do I love these socks so much? I don't know why, I just do. The simplicity of the grenade symbolizes so much. To me, mostly strength. 



It's strong. It's Explosive. It's demanding. It's everything I want for a symbol of an athlete: Strength, Agility, Aggression, and Determination.


I did coach swimming for two years at Claremont McKenna College. It's a small private school in sunny Claremont, California and also my home town. While learning as much as I could as an Assistant Coach, I wanted to be more creative and more innovative with the sets I created. As a distance swimmer miler, (I swam the event that requires lap counters and hours of time for all the heats), I was bored. Seriously, what is more boring and challenging than starting practice, and spinning your arms and kicking your legs for two hours STRAIGHT?


The hard question I had to ask myself was, how do I make this interesting? How do I challenge myself to create an innovative practice?


The answer came to me one day: Explosive Training.



What Swimming and CrossFit have in common
Explosive training is very similar to a WOD. I set an interval for twenty minutes, usually, allowing for quick movements, unexpected calisthenics, and most importantly FAST, SPEED Training. I would have my athletes swim free for all in an open area of water, and do flips, pushups, squats, pull outs, and any quick movement for twenty minutes. 

I generally saw positive attitudes to this, but also some WTF stares. Some people don't understand WOD style training, and some do. I would say, whatever works for you. 

So that's probably why I love these Grenade Explosive socks so much. It reminds me of a great time. 

Coming soon in Army Green and Red
Check out the GRENADE on Amazon.

Click here for the selection of ULTIMATE CROSSFIT SOCKS!

Thanks for reading,

Andrew Deters
Custom Sock Source





No comments:

Post a Comment